BlackBerry 10 (BB10) along with two new BlackBerry phones: a touchscreen Z10, and a touchscreen-and-keyboard Q10 were officially launched at an event in New York by company CEO Thorsten Heins. Both these devices support 4G data connectivity, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 2GB RAM and 16GB expandable storage.
BB10 OS is completely new and different from of the traditional BlackBerry aesthetic, with a focus on ease-of-typing on a touchscreen interface, better apps, a simple interface for managing social network alerts, email, BBM and a number of other features all built on the blackberry flow.
BBM now has new features called BBM Screenshare. It allows for Skype-like videocalls over a data connection and also offers a remote screen-sharing functionality. Thus, you can let another BB10 user see your phone’s screen, apps, and what you’re currently doing with them. It could be used for showing photos during a video call, for example, or slides from a presentation.
BB10 comes with BlackBerry Balance, which essentially lets users switch between two profiles: Work and Personal. One could feature only apps and other functions needed during the working day, while the other might highlight games, Facebook and similar tools reserved for out of office hours. They can be switched between quickly and each profile gets its own customization options, such as wallpapers and homescreen.
Other interesting features include:
- Picture Editor: It offers basic cropping and editing functionality for photos, as well as Instagram-like filters and sharing functions.
- Story Maker: It lets holiday-goers, for example, quickly create slideshows that incorporate multiple pictures and moving images. It’s a bit like a one-touch slideshow-maker, with built-in tools for adding titles and captions.
- Multitasking: – Run multiple apps at the same time without pausing.
Seventy thousand applications will be available from BlackBerry World, including Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Linkedin, Skype, Kindle, Dropbox, Fruit Ninja, WhatsApp, Angry Birds and a number of Gameloft titles.
Movies, TV shows and music downloads will also be available from BlackBerry World. The company has signed up all major record labels, a number of indie labels and multiple major movie and TV studios to populate the catalogue for launch.
A newsstand app will sell issues of magazines and newspapers, including those of the Guardian, the Economist, Cosmopolitan, Mail Online and the Wall Street Journal
Ques: When can I get my hands on the new BB10 devices in India?
Answer: As for the Indian sub-continent there is still no word about any official date for launch. But we will keep you posted. At present UK, Canada and UAE enjoy the luxury of welcoming the new BB10 devices.
- In the UK, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available beginning tomorrow on pay monthly contracts and pre-pay plans from EE, O2, Vodafone, Phones 4u, BT, 3UK and the Carphone Warehouse. BlackBerry Z10 smartphones will be available fully subsidized on competitive monthly pay contracts. Price points will vary according to carriers and retail partners.
- In Canada, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available on February 5th. Pricing will vary by carrier partner, but it will retail for around $149.99 on a 3-year contract.
- In the UAE, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available on February 10th. Pricing will vary by carrier partner, but unsubsidized it will retail for AED 2,599.
- In the U.S. market, we expect availability with most carriers for the BlackBerry Z10 to be in March. Today, U.S. carriers will start announcing pre-registration and price plans.