iPhone 5 is one of the finest pieces of technological advancements of our times. Not to mention it is one expensive affair too. This makes it vulnerable to getting stolen. But as we mentioned earlier about the top notch software advances, it too comes with a great free out of the box theft security system. To have it working, does require a few steps. Just follow the following tutorial to set up your iPhone’s inherent shield to protect your sensitive data using iCloud and Find My iPhone App for free.
Before you can use Find My iPhone to locate your device, you need to turn it on on your iOS device. Find My iPhone requires iOS 5 or later (iOS 6 is required for Lost Mode).
- On your device’s Home screen, tap Settings, then tap iCloud.
- If you’re asked to sign in, enter your Apple ID, or if you don’t have one, tap “Get a Free Apple ID,” then follow the instructions that appear.
- Tap to turn on Find My iPhone (or Find My iPad or Find My iPod), and when asked to confirm you want this option, tap Allow.
- Tip: For added security, set up a passcode that needs to be entered before anyone can access the apps and information on your device (Settings > General > Passcode Lock). You can also turn on Restrictions to prevent anyone else from turning off Find My iPhone (Settings > General > Restrictions).
- Thats it! You are done with the setup.
Note: Things that you require are an Apple ID (works for all Apple services viz. iCloud, iTunes Store, Game Center, Face Time, iBooks Store etc.) You can create one by clicking here >>
After the setup is done, you are good to go. Now, unfortunately when your iPhone gets stolen or lost, you are now in a position to find it using the Find My iPhone app from any computer. Just follow the following steps to find your iPhone:
- If you’re already using another application on icloud.com, click the iCloud button (or press Shift-Esc on your keyboard), then click Find My iPhone.
Note: Find My iPhone is a web application at icloud.com that you can use to help you locate any of your lost iOS devices or Mac computers that you set up to work with Find My iPhone.
You can use Find My iPhone to:
- See the locations of your devices on a map
- Lock and track the location of your iOS 6 device using Lost Mode
- Lock your iOS 5 device or Mac computer
- Make your device play a sound
- Erase the information on your device