Samsung has finally announced its much-talked about flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S5. On the surface, it does not look very different from its predecessor, the Galaxy S4, though it features a slightly bigger screen. However, it does bring a number of new features to the device. Here is a look at the top 5 features of Galaxy S5:
1. Heart Rate Monitor: Samsung claims Galaxy S5 is the first smartphone to come with a built-in hear rate monitor. The monitor is placed at the back of the phone right next to the LED flash and will track the user’s heart rate through the index finger. The monitor will work in conjunction with new health apps part of the S-Health 3.0 suite, in line with Samsung’s focus on health and wellness features.
2. Fingerprint Scanner: Galaxy S5 also includes a fingerprint sensor which it calls Finger Scanner on the phone’s Home button. This one needs users to swipe their fingers and not hold it. The scanner can be used to lock the phone and for authenticating mobile payments via PayPal.
3. 4K Video: The Samsung Galaxy S5’s sports an improved 16MP rear camera capable of recording 4K video at 30 frames per second. Samsung claims Galaxy S5 offers the world’s fastest auto-focus speed up to 0.3 seconds. It also offers slow-motion video recording and Lytro-like re-focus feature. The camera also includes hybrid auto-focus, offering both contrast detection and phase detection, features found in DSLR cameras.
4. Faster Internet: Galaxy S5 supports Wi-Fi 802.11ac and 2X2 MIMO, in addition to supporting the large number of LTE frequency with LTE Category 4 standard. The phone also includes a unique feature called Download Booster, that combines Wi-Fi and LTE connections to achieve faster download speeds. As of now, it is not clear if Galaxy S5 supports Indian 4G LTE bands.
5. Water & Dust Resistant: The Samsung Galaxy S5 is IP67 certified and is resistant to water and dust. It is not the first Samsung Galaxy phone to come with this feature as the Galaxy S4 Active also touted the same. Sony’s high-end Xperia smartphones are also water and dust-resistant. The phone’s USB port too is protected with a flap for making the phone resistant.